Posted by Tamara
Attorney General Larry Long is warning South Dakota consumers about an old foreign lottery swindle with a new look. The latest version of this scam shows up by mail in a very professionally printed award notification. The prize does not come by way of a phony cashier’s check, but a simple request for a bank routing number.
Attorney General Long warns that this is a swindle operating in violation of South Dakota fraud laws. One South Dakotan received a letter in an unmarked envelope claiming that she was a winner of a lottery based in Italy. The so-called claims department asked for personal information like date of birth, occupation, bank name, and bank account numbers. The letter claimed that her number was drawn and that she was awarded $780,000. The letter then asks her to contact her “claims agent” by email and to fax the payment processing form to the agent.
“Foreign lottery promotions are illegal and a violation of state law,” said Long. “If you participate in one of these games, expect more bogus offers for lottery opportunities. Your name will be placed on a ‘suckers list’ that fraudulent telemarketers buy and sell.”
Follow these tips to avoid becoming a victim:
Never wire money to someone you do not know.
Refuse offers to buy international lottery tickets.
Do not give out your social security number, credit card and bank account numbers to anyone who claims to be representing a foreign lottery.
Do not pay up-front fees for prize promotions -if you have won, you shouldn’t have to pay anything.
If you participate in a foreign lottery swindle, expect more bogus offers because your name will be put on a “sucker list” that fraudulent telemarketers buy and sell.
If you have questions or concerns about foreign lottery scams contact the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division.
Last 10 posts by Tamara
- Louisiana Employee Privacy Act - April 20th, 2011
- FMLA 101 – Mississippi Maternity Leave - April 19th, 2011
- Florida Overtime Update - April 18th, 2011
- Delaware Paid Holidays - April 15th, 2011
- North Carolina Employee Privacy Act - April 14th, 2011
- Wisconsin NLRA Poster Requirement - April 13th, 2011
- Ohio Maternity Leave - April 12th, 2011
- Georgia Overtime Update - April 11th, 2011
- Oklahoma Paid Holidays - April 8th, 2011
- Maryland Overtime Per Diem Update - April 7th, 2011